A Gallery of Presidents & History of Bloomsburg University
The origin of Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania dates back to 1839 with its founding as an academy. In 1856, the Bloomsburg Literary Institute was chartered but in 1866 after the school struggled during the Civil War, the charter was revived and an established educator from New York, Henry Carver, was hired to be its principal. Three years later in February, 1869 Bloomsburg was established as a state normal school.
Henry Carver was the 1st person to head the Bloomsburg Literary Institute and State Normal School, and he has been followed by 17 individuals in the office. When the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the school in 1916, it officially became Bloomsburg State Normal School and in 1927, Bloomsburg State Teachers College.
With the addition of 4 year programs and the change to college status, the principal became a president. The first being Francis B. Haas. In 1960, the 'teachers' was dropped from the name of the school with the advent of graduate degrees and finally in 1983, Bloomsburg reached university status with the formation of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
Through all the changes over the years, the people in charge have had a great deal to do with the direction the school has taken and its success. It is to them that this gallery is dedicated as a record of their many accomplishments.
See a new online display - Presidents of the Past: A Look Back at the Legacy of Former Bloomsburg University Presidents from 1937-2011.
Gallery created by Robert Dunkelberger, Bloomsburg University Archivist.
Online display designed by Shannon Santoso, Library Assistant.
Andruss Library | 570-389-4205 | email@example.com
©Copyright Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania • 400 East Second Street, Bloomsburg PA 17815-1301 • 570.389.4000