Skip to main content

BSTC & the V-5s

Bloomsburg State Teachers College & the V-5s

 

The V-5 and V-12 programs left a mark on the campus of the BSTC that can be seen today in the name of Navy Hall and the way students dine on campus.  Navy Hall was to be a junior high school at the time the V-5s arrived.  Dining was also different for the V-5s when the first arrived, the students used to have a formal dinner every night served to them.  With the V-5s and V-12s almost doubling the enrollment the college was forced to adapt and converted to a cafeteria type dining hall.  The number of cadets the college had to accommodate also forced the college to make changes to the dorms on campus and add rooms wherever they had space available, a remodeling of Waller Hall took place to accommodate the cadets. 

Photographs

Cadets dine in the new cafeteria in Waller Hall, April 1944.

V-5 Christmas Party, hosted by Bell Telephone Company, December 1943

Unknown Cadet and female student, September 1942.

Lt. John R. Hoyt walks with Fred Waring while inspecting V-5 cadets on review, March 27, 1943.

Fred Waring speaks to the crowd in Centennial Gym during a Navy review, March 27, 1943.

Navy Training Commemorative Plaque being presented to BSTC by Captain W. T. McGarry to Reginald Hemingway and President Andruss , October 25, 1947.

The plaque.

Happy Hour Program. March 18, 1943

Subject Librarians

Information Literacy Instruction

Off-Campus Access

Interlibrary Loan

Chronicle of Higher Education

Reserves/Fair Use

Ask Us

Research Consultations

Renew Books Online

Request a Purchase

Group Study Rooms

Open Computers

About Us 

Library Fines

PA Resident Cards

Suggestion Box

Employment

Giving to the Library

Andruss Library | 570-389-4205 | reference@bloomu.edu
©Copyright Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania • 400 East Second Street, Bloomsburg PA 17815-1301 • 570.389.4000