University Namesakes - Presidents: The Story of Campus Honorees and the Buildings Named for Them
The Bloomsburg University campus has many buildings and other landmarks named for individuals who have contributed to its development, growth, and success over the years. Most people today however, know almost nothing about these people. The current exhibit is the first of a series of four to provide a background and face to the names and their significance to Bloomsburg.
First up are three of the presidents of the school who were judged to have made substantial contributions. David Waller, Jr., was an 1867 graduate of the Bloomsburg Literary Institute who has been the only person to serve two terms as head of the institution. From 1877 to 1890, and then again from 1906 to 1920, he was principal of the Bloomsburg State Normal School. In 1927 the main dormitory, which opened in 1876, was named in his honor. Then, when Waller Hall was due to be demolished, the Waller Administration Building opened in 1972. Also honored with two buildings named after him was Harvey A. Andruss, the longest serving president from 1939 to 1969, when the first library opened in 1966 and the second in 1998. James McCormick, president from 1973 to 1983 and first chancellor of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, witnessed the dedication of the new human services building in 1984.
The display is currently installed in the flat cases on the third floor of the Andruss Library and contains photographs, newspaper clippings, yearbooks, booklets, catalogs, programs, correspondence, floor plans, models, and artifacts. The exhibit will be on display until September 9, 2022.
The University Archives periodically creates online or 'virtual' exhibits to highlight the Archives' collections and the history of Bloomsburg University.
Andruss Library | 570-389-4205 | email@example.com
©Copyright Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania • 400 East Second Street, Bloomsburg PA 17815-1301 • 570.389.4000