Community Borrower's Cardholder Information
Can someone who doesn't go to school or work at BU get a library card?
- Yes, Pennsylvania residents, including alumni, 18 years and older may apply for a free "Community Borrower's Card" with proof of residency.
- Obtain the application form at the Circulation Desk (or online here), complete it, and present it in person to an Access Services staff member with your proof of residency. The proof of residency must include a current and/or permanent mailing address (general Post Office Box drops are not acceptable). Preferred forms of identification include one of the following:
- PA driver's license
- United States Passport
- PA government-issued ID card
- The Borrower's card will be mailed, and full privileges will not be available until then. However, at the time of initial registration two (2) items may be borrowed. The card is valid for a period of 3 years.
Can I use the computers that are in the library? How do I log in?
- Yes, you may log in with your own username and password after your receive your card in the mail.
- Your username is your firstname(period)lastname. For example: mary.smith
- Your initial password is lib-2019. You will be prompted to change the password the first time you log-in.
Can I print with my Community Borrower's Card?
- Yes, you are allowed approximately 500 prints/year. If you go over the limit, the amount you go over will be added to your account and you won't be able to print until the bill is paid in full. You may go to the Circulation desk to pay.
- Community Borrowers may use printers on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th floors' printing rooms located across from the Tap ID printers. Instead of using the Tap ID printers, you have to log in manually and type your username and password to release your print jobs.
Can I check out books with my Community Borrower's card?
- Yes, books from the General Collection may be checked out by residents outside the university community for 4 weeks. with 1 automatic renewal, and 1 renewal request with a Community Borrower's card.
- You may ask for a borrower's card application at the first floor Access Services desk. At the time of initial registration, a Community member may borrow two (2) items.
- The total number of items a Community Borrower may have charged out at any point in time is ten (10). Requests for exceptions to this limitation may be presented in advance and in writing to the Library Supervisor. Honoring such requests will be at the sole discretion of the Supervisor.
Can I renew a book?
- Yes, you can renew library materials in person by bringing the item(s) to the Access Services Desk or call us by phone during business hours at 570-389-4205 and ask for a renewal. You can make a ONE-TIME renewal online, making a trip to the Library unnecessary.
- To renew a book online: See "Renewing Books & Other Materials"
What happens if I miss the due date?
- You will have to pay a lost item replacement cost in the amount of $85 if item is declared lost.
- Failure to return library material when due will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges until the material is returned.
What if I lose my card? Can I get a new one?
- Yes, you can replace a lost card for a $1.00 replacement fee. However, you should report the lost card to the Library promptly so it can be canceled. This will prevent someone else from using your card and accruing fines.
May I use the Library's electronic databases and journals?
What services or resources are not available to me?
- You will not be able to use interlibrary loan services, and you will not have remote access to Bloomsburg University Library Databases from outside the library.
- The reason for this is due to vendor license restrictions: the Library may not provide these services to anyone not currently affiliated with the University as a student, staff, or faculty member.
Andruss Library | 570-389-4205 | email@example.com
©Copyright Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania • 400 East Second Street, Bloomsburg PA 17815-1301 • 570.389.4000