Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

150 Years: Activities

BSNS/Alumni Quarterly

click on picture for larger view

 

The Alumni Quarterly, initially the BSNS Quarterly for the Bloomsburg State Normal School, became the official publication of the Association when revived in 1926. First issued in 1894, the magazine informed alumni of campus happenings for 110 years until the final one in 2004.

1904 Fountain

click on picture for larger view

 

 

A number of additions to campus have come from the most recent alumni in the form of Senior Class Gifts. One was donated by the Class of 1904, which purchased a fountain to be placed in Penn Street in front of Carver (then called Institute) Hall. It was also sometimes referred to as the Auditorium Building.

1916 Pergola

click on picture for larger view

 

The gift of the Class of 1916 was a pergola designed to stage outdoor performances. It was designed and built at a cost of $394 and placed in the old grove of trees on campus near Science Hall.

1919 WWI Memorial Pinery

click on picture for larger view

 

The World War I Memorial Pinery was a gift of the Class of 1919 to remember those alumni and students who lost their lives in this terrible war. The original program for the ceremony in May 1919 that dedicated the War Hero Memorial Pinery listed the individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Alma Mater Poems

click on picture for larger view

 

In May of 1937 the Association honored 1891 graduate, longtime faculty member, and first Dean of Instruction William Sutliff at his retirement by publishing a book of his poetry.

1940 Fountain

click on picture for larger view

 

Six years following the removal of the 1904 fountain due to damage from over the years, the Class of 1940 donated a second fountain for the space in front of Carver Hall. After being removed in 1955 when Penn Street was opened up and many years in storage, in 2007 it was made the centerpiece of the new Academic Quad.

Trips Abroad

click on picture for larger view

 

The Association was active in the mid-to-late 1970s sponsoring trips to various areas of the world. These vacation opportunities included excursions to Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean.

1984 Husky Sculpture

click on picture for larger view

 

The Alumni Association took a leading role in providing funding for a 1983 competition to erect a statue of the University’s husky mascot, 50 years after it was chosen to represent the school. Seen here are the competition announcement and dedication program for the statue that would grace the lawn southwest of Carver Hall.p>

Husky Ambassadors

click on picture for larger view

 

In 1986 a select group of students was chosen to represent Bloomsburg University by greeting and assisting visitors to the campus and participating in alumni and community events. They were called the Husky Ambassadors.

License Plate

click on picture for larger view

 

Pennsylvania issued license plates for alumni of the state system universities in 2001. 

Decals

click on picture for larger view

 

Decals issued by the Alumni Association from 1980 to the 2000s.

2009 Henry Carver Memorial

click on picture for larger view

 

In 2009 the Alumni Association, along with the Friends of the Bloomsburg University Library Association, paid for and dedicated a grave marker to the University’s first president, Henry Carver, and his wife Elizabeth in Denver. He had been buried without a marker since 1889 in one of the area’s oldest pioneer burial grounds, Riverside Cemetery.

About Us 

Chronicle of Higher Education

Renew Books Online

Suggestion Box

Library Fines

Giving to the Library

Request a Purchase

Open Computers

Student Employment

Andruss Library | 570-389-4205 | reference@bloomu.edu
©Copyright Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania • 400 East Second Street, Bloomsburg PA 17815-1301 • 570.389.4000