What is RefWorks?
- RefWorks is a web–based bibliographic reference manager. It allows users to create personal databases of references and use them for a variety of research activities. References can be quickly and easily imported from many online databases and library catalogues into RefWorks. These personal databases can then be used to organize, store, and share the information. Users can automatically insert references from their database into their papers using the free Write-N-Cite plug-in for Word or create formatted bibliographies in a variety of citation styles.
Who has access to RefWorks?
- RefWorks is available for use by all Bloomsburg students, faculty, staff, and alumni* on or off-campus.
Creating a RefWorks Account
- Go to the RefWorks login page.
- You must be on an Bloomsburg University IP-authenticated computer (you must be on campus or have connected to Bloomsburg using your Husky ID/password or Library Account Number).
- Click on the link “Sign up for an individual account.”
- Fill in the required fields and submit your information.
- Once your information is submitted, you will have access.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your username and password. Please save this e-mail in case you forget your password! There will also be a group code in the e-mail which will allow you to access RefWorks on a non-Bloomsburg authenticated computer. (NOTE: The group code for Bloomsburg University is RWBUP.)
Setting up your RefWorks database - Organize your citations into folders in your RefWorks account
- Click on “New Folder”
- Enter a name for the folder (or subfolder)
- Click “Create New Folder”
Getting References into your RefWorks Database - There are three methods of populating your database with citations:
- Export references directly from a journal index (i.e., ProQuest, EBSCO)
- Import references from a text file created in a journal index or database.
- Enter references manually.
Generating a Bibliography
- Navigate to the folder you want to create citations for
- Click on “Create Bibliography”
- Choose your desired output style (MLA, APA, etc.).
- Choose the “File Type” (Word doc or HTML)
- Click on “Create Bibliography.”
Writing Papers with RefWorks
Write-N-Cite is a free downloadable MS Word plugin that enables users to quickly insert references into Word documents and create bibliographies properly formatted in a specified style.
Write-N-Cite is installed on all library computers. You can download to your personal computer. Login to your RefWorks account, go to Tools > Write-n-Cite, and click the link for the version of Write-n-Cite you wish to install.